The R231 SL
When the R230 was introduced, I said it was the best roadster built. I also wrote "Some day, a better roadster may be built.
The R231 is here and "that day" has arrived.
About the Mercedes-Benz 2013 SL-Class
The 2013 SL550 will be available in U.S. showrooms this spring. Vehicle Highlights include:
- Sophisticated all-aluminum bodyshell: For the first time, the SL is being produced almost entirely from aluminum and weighs as much as
308 pounds less than its predecessor.
- Even better driving dynamics due to new direct injection engine, which is more powerful and economical than the outgoing generation.
- Other new features include the unique FrontBass system, which turns the luxury sports car into a concert hall - with the top down or up
- and the highly efficient MAGIC VISION CONTROL., a new, intelligent and wipe/wash system.
- A retractable hard top that can be operated using a space-saving electrohydraulic mechanism, converting the SL from coupe to roadster
and back again in a matter of seconds. In contrast to its predecessor, the new SL offers two versions of the retractable hard top -
glass or the unique panoramic roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL.
- A unique combination of driver assistance systems, including the drowsiness detection system ATTENTION ASSIST and the ADAPTIVE BRAKE,
both of which are standard as well as the anticipatory occupant protection system PRE-SAFE, also standard.