Starter By the Book
I've never pulled the starter in my CLK, but I've been asked for instructions a number of times. Per the WIS, this is how to R&R the starter in a W202/W208 430:
1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Remove the lower engine compartment paneling (splash shield).
3. Remove the right engine mount
4. Remove the electrical lines on the starter.
5. Remove the two bolts that hold the starter in place.
6. Slide the starter out.
7. Yes, installation is the reverse of removal.
One guy I spoke to said he R&R'd his starter with the mechanical fan and MAF in place. He also used a block of wood and a floor jack instead of a hoist.
© 2005 Marcus Blair Fitzhugh